Saturday, June 17, 2017

Week One

Well, what can I say? Week one of camp is under my belt. This was one of the most challenging weeks of my life, but so worth it.

For the summer, I will be at the high school camp, which is the smallest camp at IdRaHaJe. I met my campers Sunday and spent the next week with them. I got to know them each on a personal level and minister to them while doing fun activities. 


Sunday was a very long day, but I got to learn the campers names, where they are from, and what made them each unique. The following days were filled with fun activities and lots of adventures.


One of my favorite parts of this last week was what we call the Inspiration hike. This is a hike up to Inspiration Point on camp property. I woke up my campers at 4am to leave by 4:30am and see the sunrise. It was incredible to see the wonder of a sunrise. The campers were then able to repel down the side of the cliff. 

Each week there is a chapel speaker that does two chapels per day and is available for the campers and staff to ask questions. Our speaker was amazing and truly was a help this last week. 

I am emotionally and physically exhausted after dealing with some really hard issues that campers brought to camp. There are some campers who left today changed because of the amazing things that IdRaHaJe offers. 

I was able to connect on a deeper level with my campers and they opened up to me. Last night we had a coffee shop for them so they can get each others phone numbers and stay in contact. All of my campers asked for my phone number and I was more than happy to give it to them. There are some who really are struggling and don't have a solid Christian they can look up to, so I am honored to be that person for them. 

A whole new set of campers come tomorrow, but it will be another opportunity to grow and build more lasting relationships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment